One of the things I enjoy in life more than just about anything else is playing the piano, I am not very accomplished at it and to those who are piano connoisseurs I imagine my playing sounds terrible. It doesn’t matter to me if everyone is running for the ear plugs since I prefer playing when nobody is listening anyway! Unfortunately right now I do not have a piano of my own so I have to drive or walk a couple of miles to a 110 year old country church where I can play on the piano there. On the occasional Sunday I’ll play for the service and I enjoy playing the old hymns I remember singing in church when I was little. The old hymns often have so much meaning and often an inspiring story to go with them! One of my favorites is “All Hail to Thee Immanuel” by D.R. Van Sickle. As a nonbeliever he wrote the song to prove that one doesn’t have to be a Christian to write a Christian song. However, God, with His great patience, turned the tables on him. Years later, Van Sickle was sitting in a service where a choir sang his hymn. He came under conviction and gave his heart to Christ! Another one of my favorites is “It is well with my soul” by Horatio Spafford. The song was written after two major traumas in Spafford’s life. The first was the great Chicago Fire of October 1871, which ruined him financially (he had been a wealthy businessman). Shortly after, while crossing the Atlantic, all four of Spafford’s daughters died in a collision with another ship. Spafford’s wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, “Saved alone.” Several weeks later, as Spafford’s own ship passed near the spot where his daughters died, the Holy Spirit inspired these words.
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,When sorrows like sea billows roll;Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,It is well, it is well, with my soul.
The tune, written by Phillip Bliss, is named after the ship on which Spafford’s children perished, the S.S. Ville de Havre. Ironically, Bliss himself died in a train wreck shortly after writing this music.
Another hymn with a beginning in tragedy and pain is “Precious Lord, Take my Hand” By Thomas Dorsey. He wrote this song in Chicago, after his wife Nettie died while giving birth to a child who also died shortly thereafter.
Precious Lord, take my hand,Lead me on, let me stand,I am tired, I am weak, I am worn;Through the storm, through the night,Lead me on to the light.
We should all ask ourselves if we could go to God like this in a time where we had apparently lost everything that meant anything to us in the world.
“Take my life and let it be” by Frances R. Havergal, is an exceptionally wonderful song and I have heard a total of 8 different tunes to it! I think my favorite tune is one that is arranged from Mozart and I think it is also the most popular one. Yes the tune is nice, but it’s the words that mean something! One day while I was playing it I stopped listening to the music I was playing and concentrated on the words I was singing and couldn’t help but notice with a bit of guilt that I couldn’t honestly sing the song!
Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.
That’s not so hard to say, but it goes on!
Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose.
Whoa! The voice is fine, You can have that since I don’t sing all that great anyway, but my money? I work hard for that! Can’t I modify this to say “Take a little of my silver and gold when I have extra”? I really don’t want to give it ALL!
And my intellect? I know I need to keep back some of that to use as I choose, I really couldn’t part with it all!
Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.
And my will? I just cannot give that up! Maybe one or two hours a day You can have it but not all of it! And my heart and love? Well I’ve got to save that for my wife so you can’t have it, I’ll give it to you later though!
Take myself…only, all for Thee. What a thought. All is a very encompassing word really, it leaves nothing out. Are we willing to give our all to God? Let that sink in because we shouldn’t be singing the song blindly unless we really mean it! I thought of that as I was continuing to play it and realized I had something to deal with here, I call myself a Christian and I can’t honestly sing this song! After a few minutes changes were made and I finished the song, but it made me think, are there others? Are there songs that I sing that are contradictory to what I know is truth from God’s word? Are there songs that if I really meant what I was saying I would get results that I was not ready for or didn’t want?
“I surrender all” by Judson Van De Venter is one that came to mind almost immediately, it’s one I had sung for years but never thought about seriously. I’ll give the background to it in the writers own words. “The song was written while I was conducting a meeting at East Palestine, Ohio, in the home of George Sebring. For some time, I had struggled between developing my talents in the field of art and going into full-time evangelistic work. At last the pivotal hour of my life came, and I surrendered all. A new day was ushered into my life. I became an evangelist and discovered down deep in my soul a talent hitherto unknown to me. God had hidden a song in my heart, and touching a tender chord, He caused me to sing.”
All to Jesus I surrender;Humbly at His feet I bow,Worldly pleasures all forsaken;Take me, Jesus, take me now.
I surrender all, I surrender all,All to Thee, my blessèd Savior,I surrender all.
Well, I found another that I had to really think about before I could sing it again! Do I really surrender ALL?
Deeper, deeper in the love of JesusDaily let me go;Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,More of grace to know.
Here is another one that we had been singing for years but do I really know what I am asking when I sing this?
Deeper, deeper! though it cost hard trials,Deeper let me go!Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,Let me fruitful grow.
Yes, hard trials. It seems like they always go along with a deeper walk with God, the trying by fire and the burning out of impurities! I recently heard a song about how tilling the soil of our hearts hurts sometimes but it is preparing the soil for the good seed. The question I had to ask myself was, do I really want that good seed planted if I have to go through the hard trials? Charles P. Jones wrote the song, now I take the words to heart and make them mine.
“Sweet Hour of Prayer” is a song that I have always thought is beautiful, and by accident found was really fun to play in the form of a round when my sister and I were playing it together and one of us got completely out of time and, instead of messing it up made it much more fun to play. Here is the story of it’s beginnings written by Thomas Salmon.
“During my residence at Coleshill, Warwickshire, England, I became acquainted with W. W. Walford, the blind preacher, a man of obscure birth and connections and no education, but of strong mind and most retentive memory. In the pulpit he never failed to select a lesson well adapted to his subject, giving chapter and verse with unerring precision and scarcely ever misplacing a word in his repetition of the Psalms, every part of the New Testament, the prophecies, and some of the histories, so as to have the reputation of “knowing the whole Bible by heart.” He actually sat in the chimney corner, employing his mind in composing a sermon or two for Sabbath delivery, and his hands in cutting, shaping and polishing bones for shoe horns and other little useful implements. At intervals he attempted poetry. On one occasion, paying him a visit, he repeated two or three pieces which he had composed, and having no friend at home to commit them to paper, he had laid them up in the storehouse within. “How will this do?” asked he, as he repeated the following lines, with a complacent smile touched with some light lines of fear lest he subject himself to criticism. I rapidly copied the lines with my pencil, as he uttered them, and sent them for insertion in the Observer, if you should think them worthy of preservation.”
Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer! The joys I feel, the bliss I share, Of those whose anxious spirits burn, With strong desires for thy return, With such I hasten to the place, Where God my Savior shows His face, And gladly take my station there, And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!
Sweet hour of prayer? How many of us spend an hour in prayer? If I were to be completely honest I would have to modify this song to “Sweet minute of prayer” But that just doesn’t quite have the same ring to it does it? Do I hasten to the place where my Savior shows His face and wait for Him in prayer? I haven’t made it a habit to hasten unless I had lost something or was having a problem, the joys and bliss were saved for myself alone, I rarely if ever shared them with Him.
It looks like I need to change some things in order to sing this song in all honesty; it is a good one and should be sung!
Since that day when I realized these hymns we sing are not just nice music but really talking to God I have had a lot of eye opening moments. Hopefully reading this will encourage others to think seriously about what they sing, not to make them stop singing the songs, but to change their lives so they can sing them in all honesty. Then we can sing “Victory in Jesus, my Savior forever...”
Tuesday, December 19, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You have a God given gift in your writing ability Chris! I think it would be interesting for many to read of your oil pressing experiences too. In Him, Jim Bartlett
You have a gift from God in your writing ability Chris. Would be interesting to hear of your oil pressing experiences too! In Him, Jim Bartlett
I'm really glad you started a blog, Chris! It'll be a great way for you to share your studies and encourage others.
"Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ." Phillipians 1:6
Jonathan
Hey, nice to see you started a blog.
And how do you run a computer with no electricity ;)
Post a Comment